10.11.2010

The Skirt That Tried to Fight Me

Last week, my awesome g-ma sent me a denim jumper in the mail that she had had for years and hadn't worn in a long time.  Since G-ma is an avid reader of my blog (hello there, G-ma!), she had seen some of the transformations I had made from old clothes into new garments, and thought she would send me something to transform!  This is what I got when I opened the package:


I had half a mind to just keep it as overalls and add some front pockets so it would look like my old Osh Kosh B'Goshes, but then I had a vision of a skirt, and I knew that's what I wanted to make.  So I set out with a mind to finish it tonight...but there were obstacles.  OH THE OBSTACLES.

First, this zipper tried to act a major fool and I had to rip it out and use a whole new one.
That's what you get for misbehavior, zipper!
Then I practically cut my whole finger off with a rotary cutter.  Scott will try to tell you that statement is a gross exaggeration, but don't listen to him.  As far as I'm concerned, there were buckets of blood, and I was prepared to go to the ER.  Instead, Dr. B (dentists are real doctors, people!) taped me up with this amazingly efficient duct tape and gauze cast:

This is actually still on my hand as I type this, too!
But since I'm not into letting my self-made clothes get the better of me (as evidenced by the Chambray Blazer of Glory), I soldiered on, and here's what I came up with:


What I made:
Tulip skirt from repurposed denim jumper


When I made it:
Just now, duh.  Didn't you read the whole entry before this?

I am not really this sad about my skirt!  I'm just contemplating my injury, I swear!  I'm totally happy about my skirt!



What I like about it:
I love the shape of tulip skirts.  Love love love.
I decided to use one of the straps as a detail on the waistband to maintain a semblance of the original garment a little bit more.  I actually really like the way it turned out!
And of course, I love that it is something that my G-ma used to wear!  Now I can think of her every time I wear it, and I love that she thought of me and wanted to contribute to my self-made wardrobe.  I love you, G-ma!

I actually still have a tiny bit of finishing to do on this skirt, but my finger cast is not really conducive to hand-sewing, so I'll have to REALLY finish when I am completely healed.  Which could be months.  Okay, I'll admit that that one is an exaggeration.

1 comment:

  1. This turned out really cute! Has G-ma seen it?

    ReplyDelete