4.12.2012

Stuff I Like: Series Finales

Guys, I love the last episodes of TV shows.  Not because I'm glad they're ending, but because I am a gigantic sucker for nostalgia, and series finales bring the nostalgia in spades.  Here are 5 of my favorites of all time.

1.  Last week, One Tree Hill ended its inexplicably long run on the CW (in fact, when it started, I'm pretty sure it was still called the WB).  OTH isn't my favorite show of all time, but it is one that I've watched the longest.  It started in 2003 and ran for NINE SEASONS (of which I watched approximately 7.5).  Watching the series finale last week, I was a gigantic puddle of hysterical tears.  It was just about the greatest ending imaginable for that show and encompassed everything it was about.  I mean, the whole cast is belting out the theme song, and Haley is at Karen's Cafe, reading a book she gave to Lucas in the very first episode of the whole series.  PERFECTION.  (Kendra, only very minor spoilers are ahead, don't worry!).


2.  My favorite show of all time, Dawson's Creek, had simultaneously the saddest and happiest series finale I've ever seen.  This clip is mostly just the final montage they showed, but it features Dawson's ugly cry at 1:28, which is one of the best things that has ever happened, on TV or in life.


3.  The final curtain call of Full House marked the end of my childhood.  There hasn't been a family sitcom that can compete with that show's greatness since.


4.  As a child of the 90s, I would be remiss not to include the final scene of Boy Meets World, which is pretty phenoms.  Although how bad do you want to punch Topanga in the face when she attempts to correct Feeny's grammar?


5.  Lastly, an actual grown-up person's show:  Friends.  At the time, I bawled at this final scene, so perfectly, poignantly funny.  Thankfully, we haven't had time to miss the show, since there are approximately 7 reruns a day on various channels.


I even like series finales for shows I've never even seen (for example, this ending to Six Feet Under made me cry, and I've never watched a single episode!  I literally don't even know who the characters are!).

What's your favorite series finale of all time?  I want to watch!

5 comments:

  1. Dawson's Creek really is the best show ever! That montage (and especially D's ugly cry) made my whole day! Poor Jen though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My roommate is re-watching all of Boy Meets World lately and it brings back so many memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I remember watching the Friends series finale. It was so depressing! I mean, it was so cute and happy because it ended everyone on a high note, but I hate the idea that it means there's no more. I hate series finales just as much as I hate reading the last page of a book series. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get enough of your 'stuff I like' posts. love, love, love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking of several 15-second (or so) "spots" from movies/TV shows that crack me up so much I can hardly stand it. I want to put them all together so I can laugh my head off any time I want. Your dad can't think of any . . . . good grief.

    ReplyDelete