11.22.2012

Diary of a Surgery Recoverer: Back to Normal

It's taken longer than I ever expected or wanted, and I'm still feeling pain that I wish wasn't there, but this week, things went back to normal after my surgery 6 weeks ago today.

I returned to work.  I made us homemade meals for dinner.  I let my body feel tired, but I didn't let it ruin my day.  I took the train downtown and met up with friends around the city (some whom I haven't seen in many, many years) and talked and laughed and stayed longer than I expected and dreamed up plans for my future and encouraged the future dreams of others.

I'm not completely well yet, and at this point I occasionally find myself wondering if I ever will be, but more importantly, I'm catching up with life.  The healing part I'll leave in God's loving hands.

I've learned a lot of things these past 6 weeks about the way my body works and how I'm the only person who can really tell what it needs me to give to it.  I've been more bored than I ever thought possible.  October 2012 will forever be the lost month of my life, and good gracious, did I watch a lot of television.

But this morning, I cooked and baked for the Thanksgiving meal we're sharing with friends tonight (truth:  I made 4 dishes, 2 of which were utter failures).  Scott's out riding his bike, and it's a gorgeous, sun-filled day.  We watched the parade from the comfort and warmth of our couch.  I'm wearing a new sweater and I slept well last night and I like my hair today.  We've called our grandparents and told our families we love them.  And I'm thankful for all of those things, along with a million others.

1 comment:

  1. This post made me so happy. I'm thankful you are feeling better! Happy thanksgiving, love.

    ReplyDelete