11.13.2012

Diary of a Surgery Recoverer: Day 32

Sitting on the couch and not on the bed...moving up in the world

At this point, a month after surgery, I'm happy to say that my life and activities are slowly returning to normal.  I can do whatever I want around the house now (except for lifting things, like the laundry basket) and I'm increasing my exercise very gradually with walks every day.  It's been confusing, to say the least, trying to figure out how much activity I can/should tolerate, but it feels like I'm healing up now.

Turns out, recovering from your recovery period is kind of brutal!  On Sunday, I did two chores:  washed some dishes for about 20 minutes, and did some ironing for about 30 minutes.  After both, I was so tired, I had to lay down for about 3 hours!  It was pretty much the same after our little Long Island trip on Saturday.  It's exhausting building your stamina back up!

In other news:

- After much internal debate, I bought Taylor Swift's Red.  It's a really sad album.  I like it, but she was really feeling lots of feelings when she put this one together.

- I finally finished The Magicians.  I still don't know how I felt about it.

- Last week's The Walking Dead destroyed me so thoroughly to my core I'm not sure I'll ever get over it.  I'm scared to watch Sunday's episode.

- Friday:  The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2.  I'll see it because I like to finish what I've started, but I'm ready to be finished with that craziness.

- When I'm cleared for exercise again and get the A-OK that I'm all fixed up, I think I'm going to try swimming and yoga, two forms of exercise I don't really have much experience with.  Anybody out there a swimmer?

6 comments:

  1. Not a swimmer, but you will LOVE yoga. I went to a class weekly for a year before I got pregnant and it was awesome. I always felt so relaxed and limber when I left. I think the dancer in you will love all the stretching and balance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. relaxed and limber sounds good to me! i'm excited to get started!

      Delete
  2. I hear swimming is really low impact? Glad you hear you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know what to do with The Magicians when it was over. I didn't even know if I should recommend it to friends, so its still just sitting on my shelf haha. Yoga is really fun, you'll enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely wouldn't call myself a swimmer... However, I do LOVE to swim. Love, love, love it. I just wish I had more endurance, haha.

    Also, after my accident, I was pretty much screwed with a broke pelvis and ankle... EXCEPT WHEN I WOULD SWIM! It was the only thing I could do for so long, therapy wise, because you're weightless in the water and you're still working every muscle in your body :) It was unreal how much the swelling in my ankle would go down after 30-45min of moving in the water, water aerobics, etc. I think you'll love the relief it will give all your internal swelling and scar tissue! You'll be so tired but also so relieved. At least, that's what I hope for you anyway!!! Best of luck and SO. STOKED. you're feeling improvement :)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did not know that about you, friend! luckily there's a pool in the basement of our building, so i'm excited about giving it a try and seeing how it feels. i'm so pumped to hear it did so much for you!

      Delete