12.07.2010

You can't see it, so you'll have to believe me.

The winter coat is finished.  I lost track of time at some point, but I'm fairly certain it took me a total of 18 hours - or maybe even more.  This is surely the biggest sewing obstacle I've ever tackled, and I am simultaneously proud of myself for doing it, relieved that I'm finished, itching to start on the next sewing project, sort of never want to look at a sewing machine again, and also want to wear my coat all day, everyday, and brag to everyone that I made it.

Since this was such a huge project, I wanted to document it in a little bit more special way that just self-timered pictures standing in the corner of our bedroom, so Scott volunteered to do a little photo shoot for me!  (And I think I get embarrassed taking pictures in my room...alone...just wait until we venture outside!  I will be mortified)  Anyway, since the sun is now completely gone by 4:15 in the afternoon, we haven't had a chance to take pictures when there was good light, so we're taking time on my lunch break sometime this week, and then you'll see the coat in it's full glory!

For now, here are a few more details about the construction.  Sort of boring, but that's all I've got right now!

Attempts at adding warmth:  the outer layer is a wool flannel coating from Mood, and there are two layers of lining - a cotton flannel for warmth and then the charmeuse (pretty!) lining that is visible.

There were times I was afraid my sewing machine (who deserves about a million high-fives after this one) wasn't going to be able to make it through the SIX layers I was asking it to sew, but it always did!
Oh, the layers: flannel interlining, charmeuse lining, flannel coating, interfacing, coating, coating 
Buttonholes:  the bane of my existence.  But they worked out just fine!  Whew.  That has not always been the case.

And some pretty pockets!  I always try to treat my pockets right.  In this case, with purple, pink, yellow, and green floral lining.

Coming this week:  the whooooooooooole shebang!

3 comments:

  1. your talent is so inspiring...i know i've said this before, but if i could have your talent for even just one day i would be a happy happy girl. i have purchased myself a trusty little sewing machine, and i work on a few things here and there, but it is so intimidating!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHHH its sooooo awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to see your outdoor modeling pictures! Go, Val! Go, Scott! Study some catalogs or some clothing ads beforehand!

    ReplyDelete