11.22.2011

The Shiniest Dress I Will Ever Own

In general, I don't do shiny things.  I don't like sequins and I don't like metallic.  I hardly even wear jewelry!  I just usually much prefer simplicity and I don't like extra attention.

I threw all those notions out the window for this dress.


On my upcoming CRUUUUUUUUUUISE, there are theme nights (kind of lame).  One of them is "Prom Night" (super lame).  I vaguely considered having my mom send me my actual senior prom dress.  Talk about sparkly - it is literally covered shoulder to feet in red glitter.  But instead, I remembered this gold mesh I had in my fabric stash.  It was a gift from my sister's mother-in-law, who is an interior designer, a couple years ago.  She knew that I sew and just gave me yards and yards of free fabric!  It only took me three and a half years for me to figure out what to do with this particular gold snazziness.

Since I'm somewhat afraid of this amount of sparkly, I decided to combine some of my favorite elements into this dress so I would feel more like me.


First, I made it backless!  The front and skirt are underlined in black slinky jersey, but I left the back open.  I love throwing a little bit of scandal in there.



Second, elastic waistband of course!  The casing for it is made from black satin ribbon.  Also, the skirt is one complete circle.  I've never made a circle skirt for myself before, but it was fun!  And it involved math!  Diameter and circumference...those are words I hadn't used for awhile.


And look!  It twirls!!!

So, there you have it.  My first (and most likely last) gold mesh cocktail dress.  I plan to rock this on my cruise, on NYE, and for next year's dental school formal.  And then retire it forever.

(The original inspiration for this dress is here.)

4 comments:

  1. Very fun! You'll be stylish at the prom! ; ) The backless feature is my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fun, and I think I like yours better than the inspiration dress. The backlessness (backlessness...?!) is perfectly sassy!

    - Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really, really cute, Valerie. And I love the twirling picture--twirling just like you did when you were 3, and 4, and 5, . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete