3.06.2013

The "Sometimes You Fail" Top

I generally have a pretty good track record with the clothing that I make for myself, and I wanted this one to work so badly.  I was making plans for it months ago!  However...

If you're making a European-sized pattern and don't bother to look at the American conversion chart....
If you don't add 5/8" seam allowances, even though you are specifically instructed to...
And if you don't make a muslin...
You will end up with a top that could have been so cute, but instead is too tight, the shoulder seams will be off, and the keyhole in the back will be stretched to its breaking point.

Oh well!

Details:

Fabric:  Gorgeous Fabrics' Fabulous Smooth-Faced Jersey in Heavy Cream + some black crepe back satin remnants
Pattern:  Burdastyle - Contrast Shoulders Jersey Top

4 comments:

  1. I've had my fair share of epic fails. Almost every muslin fits horribly. I used to get frustrated but I know look at it as starting off point. Picasso drew hundreds of sketches before painting Les Demoiselles D Avignon. Nothing turns out right on the first go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwww crappers! Hate it when that happens! If it makes you feel any better, I can't tell that it's so tight from the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man! story of my life hahaha

    ReplyDelete